The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scope Base on a Stevens 87A. Mounting problems  (Read 3008 times)

rockchucker

• ... death awaits you all with nasty pointy teeth!
    • FreedomSight
Scope Base on a Stevens 87A. Mounting problems
« on: October 15, 2005, 09:42:06 pm »

Even though I've had all the parts for about a month or so, I still don't have the new scope on the old Stevens .22.

When I found the Weaver base, I figured I was in like Flynn, because the receiver is already tapped for a Weaver base; in fact, what was on the rifle was a Weaver G4 scope in a Weaver N3 base/ring combo unit. The hole dimensions on the new base are identical to those on the N3. But when I put the new scope on, it's not over the bore, it's off to the right just a little, and it's not parallel to the bore either, pointing a bit to the right.

The receiver on the Stevens is a cylindrical receiver, with the holes drilled at about 45 degrees down on the left side. I can't imagine that Weaver would change the geometry of a scope base which fits such a large number of rifles. The Midway website lists -- I dunno/remember -- over 20 rifles for the base I bought. For example, a friend of mine has a Mossberg with the same dimension receiver.

Here's what I think happened. Whoever drilled/tapped the receiver got the holes wrong. The N3 base is stamped sheet metal, so it could be tweaked over into alignment with the bore. Looking at it, however, I see no evidence of such. I suppose a decent gunsmith could polish out and refinish the base to look good after doing so. But a decent gunsmith wouldn't get the holes in the wrong place either.

Or, I could be wrong, and Weaver really has changed the hole geometry slightly.

Anyways, what I think is happening is that the holes are a little higher on the receiver than they're supposed to be. Since it's a cylindrical receiver, that causes the whole base to rotate around the receiver, which puts the scope to the right of the bore. And if the front hole is just a bit higher than the back hole, the front rotates just a little further, accounting for the out-of-parallel condition. Just eyeballing things, that does appear to be the case (the front hole being higher).

Well, drilling/tapping is $35/hole. The base has 4 holes, so it's a simple matter of just drilling for the other pair. But I'm a bit reluctant to drop another $70 on this project. I purchased the new base and rings from Midway, and they have a very good return policy. I bought the new scope at a gun show, but having an extra scope around is no big deal -- it'll get used eventually on something.

But before I go any further here, I'm wondering how feasible it is to shim the base to get the scope lined up. I have odd pieces of sheet metal, aluminum, and lucite around here, and, worst case, a friend with a machine shop. Seems to me that the worst thing that can happen is it doesn't work. Might wind up with scope pointing upwards to far for elevation to adjust? Seems unlikely. Scratching the receiver and winding up with a spot for moisture to cause rust? I can do final assembly with a little bit of liquid electrical tape -- great stuff, I think.

Any advice?

Update: After messing about with shims, and finding that they left insufficient threads on the screws to secure the base to the receiver, I decided to just use the base/rings as they sit, boresight it, and see what happens.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 03:40:53 pm by rockchucker »
... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Put a little birdhouse in your soul. -- TMBG

FreedomSight

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
Re: Scope Base on a Stevens 87A. Mounting problems
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 12:39:28 am »

$35 a hole?........sounds awful steep to me.....and I do this sorta' thing for a living

Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Not a TMM member

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 12:46:13 am »

:laugh:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 07:44:29 pm by bucctoo »
Not sympathetic to the tinfoil hat crowd.

rockchucker

• FreedomSight
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 09:01:08 pm »

$35 a hole?........sounds awful steep to me.....and I do this sorta' thing for a living

You're a gunsmith? Or a machinist?

One friend of mine speculated $15/hole, while another, who used to shoot competitively, guessed it at about $50. So the $35 didn't really surprise me. If it winds up not working where it is, I'll see what Colorado School of Trades wants.
See if Brownells has a jig for drilling the holes. maybe your holes are drilled like you said and if so you could redo it and fill the existing holes with screws. Might look like shit, but it also might work.

Well, that appeals to the do-it-yourself mindset which I have. Yeah, I'd like to own the tools. A "universal" jig from Brownells is $125, and comes with both #31 and #28 drill and tap bushings. I'd still have to get the drill and tap. I'd have to look, but I don't think any of my tap wrenches goes that small -- hmm, maybe the small collet wrench does.

And it couldn't look much worse than the holes that're there now -- they weren't even de-burred.

FreedomSight

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 12:17:37 am »

rockchucker,

Tool&die maker for 15 years, machinist for 10 years, "in-place" machinist for 5 years......and yes I do do a bit of gunsmithing.

The only difference between a good machinist and a gunsmith is a piece of paper on their wall that says government gives them permission to steal due to an artificially induced market distortion......
And hell, half the gunsmith I know aren't even reasonably competent machinists....they're just parts swappers and fitters...
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Not a TMM member

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 01:28:33 am »

:laugh:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 07:52:19 pm by bucctoo »
Not sympathetic to the tinfoil hat crowd.

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 01:30:06 am »

rockchucker,

Tool&die maker for 15 years, machinist for 10 years, "in-place" machinist for 5 years......and yes I do do a bit of gunsmithing.

The only difference between a good machinist and a gunsmith is a piece of paper on their wall that says government gives them permission to steal due to an artificially induced market distortion......
And hell, half the gunsmith I know aren't even reasonably competent machinists....they're just parts swappers and fitters...

Well,  I know the first guy I talked to in the area didn't tend to inspire confidence,  not at all...

The guy I did eventually go see was another story.  He had some actual machines in his small shop,  and was getting more in all the time,  every time I stopped by.  And was very eager to answer all sorts of questions.  Worked over my PA-63,  and did a fairly good job on it.

Only one thing,  though -- before,  back when it was still working okay,  either of the two mags I got with it would work just fine. But on taking it out to try it out after it'd been worked over,  one mag worked just fine,  while the other one seemed to want to consistently drop out each time.  Got any thoughts about why that might be happening?
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

rockchucker

• FreedomSight
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005, 10:37:00 pm »

Range Report

Short version. 2 inch groups at 50 yds from sandbags. No doubt, my technique needs some work. I'll be playing with different ammo as well. Used Remington 525 "Golden Bullet" hollow points. Will try CCI Mini-Mags next time out.

I shot the M700 VLS too.

FreedomSight
Pages: [1]   Go Up