The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: FSW Forum  (Read 1462 times)

MamaLiberty

• It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.
  • Administrator
  • Individual Sovereign/ Personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty
Re: FSW Forum
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2013, 11:32:55 am »

Hi Mama,

Can you please include me too?

Check your in-box... :)
But, in the end, I live and therefore I am. I don't need any other person's permission to live or defend myself. I don't need anyone's vetting of my intentions or sanity, nor approval for the self defense tool I choose or how I carry it.

I don't NEED to explain myself. I don't NEED any reasons at all.

stainzblue

• What's that beeping sound?
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2013, 11:57:44 am »

Yeah it was there already. Silly me... Thanks :)
"The most important part of survival is the mind. It is your mind that tells you to prepare for hard times. [...] It is also your mind that tells you how to handle hard times you didn't think to prepare for."  
securitysix

idahobob

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2013, 07:54:59 am »

Please put me on the list, also.

Thanks.

Bob
III
How to overthrow the system: brew your own beer; kick in your Tee Vee; kill your own beef; build your own cabin and piss off the front porch whenever you bloody well feel like it. -- Edward Abbey

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2013, 09:53:50 am »

You are all set, Bob.

Here is the latest message sent to the group:

Dear Friends,
I need to know as soon as possible if you do NOT wish to be part of this
list. Otherwise, when we begin to use it for discussion, it may be
difficult to remove you from all of the forwards for a while. Adding new
people won't be difficult, but I'd like to start with as many as possible.

Remember that the way to respond to the entire list is to hit "reply
all" and it is required that you select "blind CC" before you send.
Otherwise, you expose everyone's email address to spam bot collection.
Snide comments to the NSA eavesdroppers are discouraged, but will be
tolerated.

Thanks for your patience, everyone. We should be ready to start
discussing the possibilities in another week. We have had two offers for
administrator, and one for an all new format idea, so we have plenty to
talk about once we are ready.

Yours,
MamaLiberty
But, in the end, I live and therefore I am. I don't need any other person's permission to live or defend myself. I don't need anyone's vetting of my intentions or sanity, nor approval for the self defense tool I choose or how I carry it.

Destin Faruda

• Opinion Lord
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2013, 02:08:10 pm »

All plaintext I take it.  I'll pass this time around, but I'll put my two cents in for those willing to learn.

You're better off with an actual listserv or some form of old school unix mailing list.  You get to avoid having ANYONE know the membership without significant effort to compromise the server, or the resources to get directly at the traffic (NSA, CIA, other cost ineffective goon squads and their worshipers.)

The server and its admin team are the only ones with any potential access to this.  Thus, if anyone gets spammed or otherwise misused, there is a much smaller chance of the membership being exposed through a single mistake.

But what do I know?
"Time to beat those plowshares back into swords."  Robert Anson Heinlein
-------
"It'd be utterly ridiculous for him to be in the storyline - he doesn't belong there. He's not a God, he just kills them for a living. :P" ~ Draaza
-------
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2013, 11:57:09 pm »

Yeah a listserver contains the mailing list, usually along with associated software for additions and removal of users.

Makes it easier for mere mortals to participate as they only need the email addy of the listserver mail account.
In addition to this, all incoming mail to those on the list is from the listserver account.

Actually it's pretty easy to conjure up your own set of scripts to create such a thing too.(using BSD, unix, or Linux)

But then again, as I've said before, set up an alternative DNS system, and one can run an entire underground network on the existing internet while only requiring any possible users to add a dns server entry to their network configuration file.

When I was out in Wyoming I was working on just that.............still have all the CD's I burned of the distribution release chain here.

come to think of it, I still have my later development machine sitting on a shelf growing dust in the basement here.*laughs*
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Destin Faruda

• Opinion Lord
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2013, 12:40:02 am »

Yeah a listserver contains the mailing list, usually along with associated software for additions and removal of users.

Makes it easier for mere mortals to participate as they only need the email addy of the listserver mail account.
In addition to this, all incoming mail to those on the list is from the listserver account.

Actually it's pretty easy to conjure up your own set of scripts to create such a thing too.(using BSD, unix, or Linux)

But then again, as I've said before, set up an alternative DNS system, and one can run an entire underground network on the existing internet while only requiring any possible users to add a dns server entry to their network configuration file.

When I was out in Wyoming I was working on just that.............still have all the CD's I burned of the distribution release chain here.

come to think of it, I still have my later development machine sitting on a shelf growing dust in the basement here.*laughs*

One can run all sorts of interesting things on the existing internet with TCP / IP serving only as the medium for encapsulation of custom data packets.  And I'm not just talking encryption or privacy related stuff.  One can do amazing things with the net.
-------
"It'd be utterly ridiculous for him to be in the storyline - he doesn't belong there. He's not a God, he just kills them for a living. :P" ~ Draaza
-------
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2013, 03:46:13 pm »

Second message sent to email list.  If anyone here would like to participate, don't be shy.

Dear Friends,

tolerated.

Yours,
MamaLiberty

Destin Faruda

• Opinion Lord
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2013, 07:54:13 pm »

Second message sent to email list.  If anyone here would like to participate, don't be shy.

Dear Friends,

tolerated.

Yours,
MamaLiberty

I'd love to help but I do not want to be on that mailing list.  Far too much risk of exposure to who knows what from the lack of attention to detail that some people have when emailing important things.  Not willing to run that kind of risk.

Wish you much luck.
-------
-------

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2013, 05:48:20 am »

I'll be opening up the list for general comments today.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2013, 10:20:29 am »

Houston, we have a problem...

I must confess that I never did an email "list" before. I thought
everyone would be able to "reply to all" and we could do the BCC thing.
I just got a response to the "list," and I don't have a "reply to all"
option!!! Do you?  I could "forward" it to the group in my address book,
but that's not going to keep everyone anonymous if they have to create a
group in their address book. This is very frustrating.

Better hold off on answering until we figure out THIS glitch. sigh

Does anyone know how to do an email list that does NOT require the BCC
or a dedicated address book, and could be easily answered by anyone? I
don't seem to have that capacity in my email program... I've been a
member of such groups a number of times, but never understood how they
worked.

The technically challenged shouldn't start these things, I guess.

ML

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2013, 02:34:03 pm »

For "reply to all" to work, the addresses need to be in the CC line, not BCC. Otherwise, you need to run a mailing list on a server. Mailman is one of the most common of the mailing list managers. We could run it on thementalmilitia.com, so people could send to fsw@thementalmilitia.com. Would take me a couple or four hours of setup to make that work. Currently, thementalmilitia.com has no capability of receiving mail at all, so I'd have to install qmail or postfix. Strangely, it DOES have mailman installed, but that's mostly useless without a mail agent to receive list mail.

There are public mailing list servers, e.g. Google or Yahoo, but you might prefer a privately run server.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2013, 03:17:04 pm »

There are public mailing list servers, e.g. Google or Yahoo, but you might prefer a privately run server.

Thanks, Bill... the whole point is that the email list was only supposed to be used for a few days or a week to iron out some details. I never intended it to be a big deal. I just didn't know that the blind CC thing would not work the way I expected it to.

We've progressed beyond this already, and are talking about just going ahead and setting up a SMF forum. Does BestNet look like a good deal to you? Our forum was never large, nor ever had a lot of participants.

This was my latest sending to the "list" I do have:

It has been suggested that we just DO it, and work out the details
later. The only thing that we have to decide first is the name, because
it would be difficult or impossible to change later. WHAT SHALL WE CALL IT?

Look at the hosting information here below. I couldn't find any
information about buying increased disk space or bandwidth if needed,
but I don't think we'll find a better offer anywhere. I'll set it up and
pay for it right away, unless there are serious objections. I don't want
to railroad anyone or "take over," but the email list just doesn't seem
as if it's going to work both ways and I don't know how else to get this
job done.

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU WANT TO DO! Has ANYONE heard from Boston?

MamaLiberty

SMF Forum Hosting
http://www.bestnet.net/smf-forum-hosting.html
Quick Overview
Simple Machines Forum is a professional grade software package that
allows you to set up your own online community within minutes. Its
powerful custom made template engine puts you in full control of the
lay-out of your message board.
Our SMF Forum hosting service features:
* Pre-installed SMF Forum Software;
* Root web address supported: http://forum.YourCompany.com or
http://www.YourCompany.com;
* cPanel Web based Admin interface for: file management, DNS setups, and
Email configurations;
* One Click SMF Forum software reinstall and updates;

Details
* Domains: Unlimited;
* Disk space: 10GB;
* Bandwidth: 300GB data transfer per month;
* Email users: 50;
* MySQL database: 1;
* One dedicated IPv4 IP address;

Hosting:
Regular Price: $9.95 / Month

Special Price: $6.96 / Month  ($83.52 per year)

Domain name registration: $14.95 /year

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2013, 03:37:45 pm »

Bestnet probably works, but it seems expensive to me. We could run another SMF instance at thementalmilitia.com, as either thementalmilitia.com/fswforum or as fswforum.com. The former could have encrypted https. The latter could not. Wouldn't cost a penny, other than the yearly price for the fswforum.com domain name, if you want to go that way.

I like nearlyfreespeech.net for domain name registration. $9.50/year and very easy to use.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2013, 03:53:00 pm »

Bestnet probably works, but it seems expensive to me. We could run another SMF instance at thementalmilitia.com, as either thementalmilitia.com/fswforum or as fswforum.com. The former could have encrypted https. The latter could not. Wouldn't cost a penny, other than the yearly price for the fswforum.com domain name, if you want to go that way.

I like nearlyfreespeech.net for domain name registration. $9.50/year and very easy to use.

Dang! That would be wonderful.  Thanks a million for the offer!  We can't use the FSW name without permission from Boston... and nobody knows if he's still even alive right now... but we'll think of something to call it.  I like "Wyoming Curmudgeons" myself...  But I'm trying HARD not to be bossy...

Let me ride the old pony around this herd of cats for a little while and see what the folks want to do.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up