The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interchangeability of mason jar lids?  (Read 2633 times)

T. Eotwawki

Interchangeability of mason jar lids?
« on: September 06, 2010, 02:34:20 am »

I bought a large-ish batch of mason jars (more than 200) from a local family a few days ago after they saw my ad on Craigslist saying I was looking for jars. They don't have any lids on them, though, and while the majority of these look like they're Ball brand jars, not all of them are. I've got both quart- and pint-sized jars, and some of the quart jars are wide-mouthed. Since I'm just dry-canning dehydrated food and won't need to heat-seal the jars, the lids won't need to "pop," but I was wondering, is there a lot of interchangeability, i.e., same size and dimensions, of lids for most common brands of mason jars? Some of these jars are pretty old--I can't tell a production date, but a few of these cases are the original boxes and are really, really old. Would most Ball jar lids for both quart and pint jars typically fit most other brands' quart and pint jars?

MamaLiberty

• It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.
  • Administrator
  • Individual Sovereign/ Personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty
Re: Interchangeability of mason jar lids?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 06:01:48 am »

I'm pea green with envy... :)

Yes, all true "mason" and "ball" jars use the same lids. Two sizes, regular and wide mouth. Some VERY old jars used a glass lid with a rubber seal, not suggested for pressure canning at all.

The two part lids have become quite expensive, so you might go back to the craig's list and see if anyone has the reusable screw down ring part - or even a stash of the flat sealing lids too.

Happy canning!
But, in the end, I live and therefore I am. I don't need any other person's permission to live or defend myself. I don't need anyone's vetting of my intentions or sanity, nor approval for the self defense tool I choose or how I carry it.

I don't NEED to explain myself. I don't NEED any reasons at all.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 08:30:57 am »

I also am green with envy. As ML says, the majority of lids/jars are interchangable with the exception of the pre-1921 jars which require a zinc/milk glass lined screw on top.

That said - here is some information that might help determine if you have any "valuable" jars:

If you do have a chance - go through those jars and borrow this book from the library (although it is up to number 10 at it's latest release). ND got some jars at an auction (about 150 for $16) and going through them I found some blues that are worth $40 each. I also have a few misspellings, number 13's (in a circle on the bottom) and a few rare ones.

The plan is to ebay those.

Leybourne, Doug: The Red Book of Fruit Jars No. 7. Published by Douglas M. Leybourne, Jr. N. Muskegon, Mich., 1993.

Also - here is a good page that will tell you in rough terms what age the Ball are based on the script - toward the bottom after the history.

http://home.earthlink.net/~raclay/DatingBalljars.HTML

and some information on the "Drey" discount line (produced by Ball but renamed not to undercut their main line):

http://fruitjar.org/Drey.htm

and a forum in case you find something you think is really valuable and wish to maybe sell:

http://balljarcollectorscommunitycenter.yuku.com/forums/69/t/FAQ-s.html

“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

MamaLiberty

• It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.
  • Administrator
  • Individual Sovereign/ Personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 08:49:54 am »

I never saw any of the rare or unusual jars myself. I do wish I could have all the jars my grandmother and aunt had over the years... Aunt Jessie had a basement room FULL of them. And I suspect some of those were very old. They probably got thrown out when the farm was sold. Never even thought about it back then. sigh
But, in the end, I live and therefore I am. I don't need any other person's permission to live or defend myself. I don't need anyone's vetting of my intentions or sanity, nor approval for the self defense tool I choose or how I carry it.

I don't NEED to explain myself. I don't NEED any reasons at all.

hermit

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 07:54:24 pm »

I'm getting green with envy too.

As mutti said, most jars of the modern style have interchangeable lids/bands. I know that I have ball, mason, kerr, atlas, and some really small brands - such as Brook - and all the lids are interchangeable, from half-gallon to half-pint, even on the colored jars. Most of these jars date from the 30's - present, and we've been canning in most of them since at least the sixties. The really older jars are a bit different size - such as the zinc lids, or some set up for wire bail or screw-on lids, but we don't use those for canning.

Thanks for the links mutti - I'll have to look at those on my next downtime and maybe see what I actually have on the shelves.
You can't fix stupid.

Omnes Homines Aut Liberi Sunt Aut Servi

gaurdduck

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 02:07:30 am »

You might be interested in getting some of these reusable lids:
http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up