Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Check out and contribute to our new Wolfekipedia:
http://thementalmilitia.com/wiki/
or
https://thementalmilitia.com/wiki/

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Shelf Life of Antibiotics  (Read 5961 times)

PondPatriot

Shelf Life of Antibiotics
« on: January 12, 2010, 11:37:41 pm »

I know that there is an Exp. Date on the bottles but can someone tell me what happens to them after that? I know they just don't go bad on November 2012. Is it a gradual reduction of potency or what?

knobster

• Growing and protecting my hoard!
Re: Shelf Life of Antibiotics
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 04:52:12 am »

Unfortunately the answer is not an easy one.  Some lose potency (some faster than others), but some antibiotics become dangerous (i.e. toxic) if taken well beyond their expiration date.  I would seek the advice of a pharmacist if I were you.  Your favorite internet search engine will provide answers but trust them at your own risk.
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

PondPatriot

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 10:36:12 pm »

Thanks, I think I will start by asking a pharmacist I have known for a while and hopefully get and hopefully get an answer other than than the date on the bottle. If that doesn't work I will try the search engine route.

Thanks again

MamaLiberty

• It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.
  • Administrator
  • Individual Sovereign/ Personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 04:30:51 pm »

You might reconsider keeping antibiotics at all. New data from Europe shows pretty clearly that reliance on antibiotics causes a shift from healthy immune system to a much weaker one, not to mention the development of resistant organisms. So many of us deplore the use of antibiotics in our food animals, yet are prepared to use them ourselves. The argument against use is the same, regardless of the species.

In most life threatening infections, oral antibiotics are of very limited value and are not absorbed well - even if fresh and appropriate for the infectious agent. It will probably be almost impossible to use intravenous therapy absent hospital conditions, laboratory tests and the ability to deal swiftly and professionally with serious allergic reactions.

Antibiotics are not all they are cracked up to be. Put your money and effort into an improved immune system. That is a win/win situation for everyone.
But, in the end, I live and therefore I am. I don't need any other person's permission to live or defend myself. I don't need anyone's vetting of my intentions or sanity, nor approval for the self defense tool I choose or how I carry it.

I don't NEED to explain myself. I don't NEED any reasons at all.

bennie

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 04:36:32 am »

The overuse of antibiotics in situations they are not called for is the problem.

But, antibiotics ARE all they are cracked up to be when appropriately used. Probably the #1 reason that life expectancy almost doubled from 1928 to 2000. Because of them more awareness was also given to the need for better hygiene infrastructure which may be the #2 reason for increased life expectancy.

But I do agree in putting personal effort into improving one's own immune system. Very important in this day and age of frankenfood and poor exercise.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 08:38:19 am »

The overuse of antibiotics in situations they are not called for is the problem.

The question is... how does the average person in their bunker know when an antibiotic (or which one) IS "called for?"

Without identification and sensitivity matching in a laboratory, and serious knowledge/understanding of how different types work on different organisms, there is little chance that the average person can use antibiotics appropriately, and every chance they will do more harm than good with them.
But, in the end, I live and therefore I am. I don't need any other person's permission to live or defend myself. I don't need anyone's vetting of my intentions or sanity, nor approval for the self defense tool I choose or how I carry it.

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 04:32:54 am »

Are you saying that some antibiotics are better for specific bugs?  How would they do more harm, aside from allergic reaction?
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 08:33:15 am »

Are you saying that some antibiotics are better for specific bugs?  How would they do more harm, aside from allergic reaction?

Yes indeed. Look up "culture and sensitivity" testing. Look up drug resistant organisms. Look up bacterial toxins.

I'm not saying antibiotics should never be used, by any means. But it is a complex and even dangerous therapy under the best of circumstances, and just isn't something that can be done well with a bottle of stuff from the feed store.

The fact that doctors are not currently always using them property does not change that. :(

gridboy

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 09:55:00 am »

I think certain antibiotics will impair your mitochondria.  They may also wipe out your
normal gut organisms.  For long term storage, you might try bulk reagent-grade antibiotics,
stored frozen, with dessicant.  That's how we used to keep them.

Rarick

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 10:09:13 am »

So the best antibiotic in a SHTF for a long term is plain old stay clean and a bottle of hydrogen peroxide.  :huh:
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 01:39:29 pm »

So the best antibiotic in a SHTF for a long term is plain old stay clean and a bottle of hydrogen peroxide.  :huh:

Good overall health and nutrition makes for a good immune system. We live in an incredible sea of microscopic organisms of all kinds, and 99.9% of them do us no harm. When we expose our good immune systems to all these organisms on a regular basis, we develop natural defenses and immunities against the few that are truly dangerous.

One of the sad things I've seen in my long career is how terribly sick and vulnerable children are who are kept too "clean" and everything they touch or eat is "sterilized." They usually don't have good nutrition or environment otherwise, and so never develop healthy immune systems.

So, "clean" is relative. Certainly keep wounds clean. But don't pour peroxide into them. Peroxide actually damages cells in a wound. If a wound is particularly dirty, flush with water that has been boiled with a little salt (1 tsp to a quart) and cooled. This will clean it, restore the natural saline balance, and not do any further tissue damage.

Peroxide can be very useful if there is sign of infection, however. Clean the wound as much as possible with the the salt water, then use a diluted solution of peroxide. Let it sit for a minute, then rinse it with the saline again.

Otherwise, good healthy dirt is your friend. Learn the difference between clean dirt (like good garden soil) and dirty dirt, such as found in a city gutter.

Rarick

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 12:38:09 am »

Otherwise, good healthy dirt is your friend. Learn the difference between clean dirt (like good garden soil) and dirty dirt, such as found in a city gutter.

a good washing after shoveling out the stable, but a day in the woods not so bad.   Okay, yes I understand a good cleaning of a wound does not require "disinfecting" unless it is showing signs of infection, just get the foreign stuff out of the body.   That is why I referred to Peroxide as an antibiotic- you only use it when...........

Know of anyway to make our own peroxide or other disinfectants in the long term?

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 07:26:50 am »

That is why I referred to Peroxide as an antibiotic- you only use it when...........

Know of anyway to make our own peroxide or other disinfectants in the long term?

Peroxide does not qualify as an antibiotic in any way. :)

Plain soap and water, saline water and sunshine are the best wound care and disinfectants in the long run. As far as I know, you cannot make peroxide at home. Luckily, there is no need to do so.

The best course is to wash the germs out of wounds, not try to kill them. Anything that can actually kill germs can also damage skin and other tissues. The soap causes the germs to come loose from the tissue, and then they can more easily be rinsed away. The saline produces the natural fluid environment for tissues to heal and grow.

I spent many years learning about wound care in nursing. Many things were tried over the years, but it all eventually came back to those basic principles. Soap and water, normal saline and keeping a wound clean and moist until it healed.

oath keeper

• Provisional
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 04:36:59 am »

The military did extensive testing on antibiotics and other meds. They cant afford to throw away millions of dollars worth of meds every year. You can find the test results online. Dont remember the website but if you just type in military tests on shelf-life of meds you shoul d be led to the site.

Bluelinegirl

• Oathkeeper
  • I would bleed on the flag to keep the stripes red.
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 10:21:56 am »

As for a 'home grown' antibiotic, look up Echinacia aka purple cone flower. It grows wild in the north east and can easily be added to any flower bed (seed available at most stores) It is a very powerful antibiotic, antimicrobial and antiseptic. You can make a tea or tincture from the flower itself or the roots. It can be dried and stored for the winter or used fresh all summer. And its a pretty flower, it looks like a large purple gerber daisy. I was suprised to see how many households in my small town have it growing in their beds :) I make a tea any time I feel sore throat comming on, one or two glasses as a booster or applied directly to affected areas as needed. Like ML said, most cuts etc dont need antibiotics and as one of my favorite Gurus once said, 'our bodies are pharmacies, millions of years old.'  Its best to know how your body reacts to 'germs' etc. If you commonly get a fever of 99 to 100 when you get exposed to a germ then give your body a chance to fight it off (I wont even take tylenol, which lowers the fever which is trying to kill the germ!) I resort to 'help' when I hit 101 which is very high (and painfull) for me (ive only hit 101 twice in my life.) Those poor kids that live in sanitized worlds would never survive an EOTW scenario, much like the movie War of the worlds i believe...the aliens died from a cold.....
The toughest part of this world, is to live in it. - BTVS

Not on my watch.

With 19 generations of Military and LE behind and around me, I have a shiny .02

1*

WANTED: $1,000,000.00 reward for the live capture of the Elusive HumanaChickaPig!! Freshly slaughtered also acceptable!

The Constitution is not self-executing.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up