The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Penicillin from the Feed Store?  (Read 10208 times)

reformedneocon

Penicillin from the Feed Store?
« on: November 27, 2009, 05:36:40 pm »

Hi Folks,

I am trying to stock up on as many medicines and prescriptions as possible. However, I would like more antibiotics on hand. As I don't have a doc willing to help me with this, I thought of my local feed store. Which brings me to my question:

Are feed store stocked medicines (i.e. Penicillin) OK for people? I have given penicillin to our horses before but wasn't sure if 'people' penicillin was the same thing.

Thanks,
Alex

Bluelinegirl

• Oathkeeper
  • I would bleed on the flag to keep the stripes red.
Re: Penicillin from the Feed Store?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 09:42:53 pm »

Doh! Thanks Alex, I dont know why i didnt think of that...i imagine that, although not food grade, as long as the ingredients arent adverse and you know dosing pp for people...im going tom. to add some to my supplies. Note re the Ukrainian pneuminuc plague/hemoragic fever that has hit Iowa and suspected in other states, Penicillin (according to suposed Drs) is Not effective, only antibiotics in the 'cycline' family are (teracycline is available in the aquarium stores/section. Not food grade, but in a pinch, Ive used it (Tip: it tastes Nasty! Coat it in honey :) So in addition to weight dosages, study up on whats usefull for what. And dont forget to add Echinacea, its a very powerful antiviral. Thanks again.
The toughest part of this world, is to live in it. - BTVS

Not on my watch.

With 19 generations of Military and LE behind and around me, I have a shiny .02

1*

WANTED: $1,000,000.00 reward for the live capture of the Elusive HumanaChickaPig!! Freshly slaughtered also acceptable!

The Constitution is not self-executing.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 10:14:09 pm »

Well - Not to be picky (and I have accidentally given myself a few pricks with the needle while dosing - Gooch - do not comment on that  :rolleyes:) - I'd use that type of thing as a last defense. True there are "last ditch efforts" and one does have to make ones own decision...

If someone is purchasing 'cycline' or whatever for their livestock, always go to the busiest farm store, check for expiration dates, have a way of dosing (powder if dosing the entire herd in case of pinkeye for example : injectable for singular use), check for proper storage (refrigeration vs not) and read the dosing instructions!

Remember before making a decision that something one purchases for a ruminant should not be used in a non-ruminant - they way they cycle/process medication is different that the way a single stomach critter might.

“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

gooch

• Mr. Badger ? Maybe ....
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 10:38:54 pm »

Well - Not to be picky (and I have accidentally given myself a few pricks with the needle while dosing - Gooch - do not comment on that  :rolleyes:) - I'd use that type of thing as a last defense. True there are "last ditch efforts" and one does have to make ones own decision...

If someone is purchasing 'cycline' or whatever for their livestock, always go to the busiest farm store, check for expiration dates, have a way of dosing (powder if dosing the entire herd in case of pinkeye for example : injectable for singular use), check for proper storage (refrigeration vs not) and read the dosing instructions!

Remember before making a decision that something one purchases for a ruminant should not be used in a non-ruminant - they way they cycle/process medication is different that the way a single stomach critter might.

What ? Me ? Make a "comment" ?  Me ?

I'm gonna pull a Sgt. Schultz on this one. ["I zee nahssing, I hear nahssing, I Know nahssing."]

= = = = =

I am allergic to Penicillin so I am not interested in that one BUT the cyclines I can take and will look for those.
Is there a centralized place to learn the dosages and indications of usage for each type ? As in med type indicated by each type of injury, etc.

I haven't been around livestock or their meds for Ages. [ I was still pretty young when "dirt" first came out ....]
Hezekiah Wyman - My Personal Role Model
"Come and Take It"  The Gonzales Flag, Gonzales, Texas 1835
"To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill.
To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill."
 SUN-TZU
     III

synchro

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 08:29:53 am »

Tetracycline comes in small foil bags of powder.
When you buy meds for animals think pig.
We are quite similar.  Used it on myself  15 years
or so ago when a Great Dane tore up my arm and
hand - long story - but I didn't want to deal with
a doctor reporting an animal bite.

Note: That was a use to Prevent an infection as opposed
to trying to Cure something already raging.
In that case, SFAIK - no harm came to me.  YMMV.

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 09:37:11 am »

What ever you do, when buying your "pig" meds DO NOT mention swine flu, Etc.!  I betcha that the feed store might feel obliged to report it some how.  With the NAIS act, I hope it doesn't require the number of what pig you are meddicating?
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........

cole

• Son of Liberty
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 11:09:04 am »

I'll ask my wife when she wakes up, she's a veterinary technician.  I know that some medicines (esp. OTC) are interchangeable between humans and dogs so guess we'll see lol.

My grandparents would always travel to Mexico and buy amoxicillin, etc.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home... We ask not your counsel nor your arms... may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
   Samuel Adams, 1776

jimp220

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 11:16:11 am »

There was a book out by Ragnar Benson (?)  along the lines of 'Ditch Medicine' and 'Where there is no Doctor' and the gist was in third world countries they rely a great deal on veternary medicines.  My brother-in-law is a pharmacist and he says as long as it is at least USP grade it is safe for humans, and if I'm dying of an infection I'll take whatever there is. 

He did say they have tested stuff from Mexico and the dosage and quality was all over the charts, very inconsistant.

Bluelinegirl

• Oathkeeper
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 02:57:21 pm »

2 year supply (as per expiration date as i read somewhere TC goes toxic with age.) $5 at tractor supply store :)

Not on my watch.

1*

WANTED: $1,000,000.00 reward for the live capture of the Elusive HumanaChickaPig!! Freshly slaughtered also acceptable!

cole

• Son of Liberty
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 01:52:58 pm »

In the words of my wife: "Penicillin is penicillin."
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home... We ask not your counsel nor your arms... may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
   Samuel Adams, 1776

hangman

• Senator, +Lampost, +Rope. Some assembly required
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 04:53:02 pm »

I get plenty at KV Pet & Equine without a prescription. And, it's fairly cheap.

http://www.kvsupply.com/homepage.html
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 04:55:43 pm by hangman »
Live Free Or Die: Death is not the worst of evils.

"Resist much, obey little." ~ Walt Whitman

If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government — and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws. — EDWARD ABBEY

MamaLiberty

• It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.
  • Administrator
  • Individual Sovereign/ Personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 05:25:01 pm »

Before you start to sling that stuff around, you might want to read up on how easily one develops an allergic reaction to it. And how deadly that reaction can be.
But, in the end, I live and therefore I am. I don't need any other person's permission to live or defend myself. I don't need anyone's vetting of my intentions or sanity, nor approval for the self defense tool I choose or how I carry it.

I don't NEED to explain myself. I don't NEED any reasons at all.

Bluelinegirl

• Oathkeeper
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 08:24:15 pm »

i agree ML, I wont be using even the tiniest amount of anything but echinacia, vit D, C, Lysine and B vits. I got it Just in we have to endure an eotwawki scenario. Otherwise, well, i got sick on 3 day z pack once, ickk (plus our bodies contain pharmacys millions of years old. everything our ancestors met.) So unless people start dropping like flies all around me, it stays in the emergency kit.

Not on my watch.

1*

reformedneocon

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 02:03:38 am »

WOOHOO! I just received my Fish Penicillin (500mg) and Tetrocycline (250mg) via FedEx yesterday! I used www.calvetsupply.com. Shipping was fast and no questions asked.  :laugh: Yeah! I am planning on ordering some Cipro when it gets in stock.

I am not planning on using the drugs until TSHTF. These will be strictly backup.

Alex

gaurdduck

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 02:20:15 am »

You can get nitrous oxide, AKA laughing gas, at stores that sell large amounts of paintball gear.
It comes in canisters from 12oz to 24oz and is used for high-end paintball guns, unlike my '95 custom.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up