Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Check out and contribute to our new Wolfekipedia:
http://thementalmilitia.com/wiki/
or
https://thementalmilitia.com/wiki/

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Clyde Barrows favorite gun...  (Read 10725 times)

yorick

• http://www.friendshuh.com
Clyde Barrows favorite gun...
« on: July 31, 2006, 05:44:42 pm »

nah - it wasn't the Thompson - it might have been the BAR - but I heard on the history channel that it was the sawed off shotgun. 
(plus you just can't get a BAR anymore these days!)

Specifically the Browning A-5 semi automatic shotgun.  He sawed off the barrel and cut down the buttstock so he could conceal it under his coat and swing it into action quickly (both Bonnie and Clyde were very small folks)

Here's a pic of what was taken from the car when they were captured:
(the sawed off A-5 shotgun is the shorter of the two on the left)

Here's Clyde posing with his BAR
(with the Browniing A-5 shotgun propped up against the bumper next to the other BAR)

So what you say?

Well - I am reducing my personal inventory and I happen to have 1 Genuuuiiiiiine old time Browning A-5 Semi-automatic shotgun for sale!! 
Prefer FTF sale in Nevada - but I'll ship to your FFL for actual costs...

So if you have $350, a hacksaw and a little creativity *see note below   - you too can wield one bad ass CQB weapon - the weapon of choice for Bonnie & Clyde Barrow (when they couldn't get thier hands a BAR anyway)   :ph34r: ^_^ :mellow:

(or just use it like it is - it's kinda pretty)

Contact me via PM for additional pics & details.

Thank you

* note: to avoid becomeing hunted down and stomped on like Bonnie and Clyde were - please remember and apply all NFA rules - keep that barrel longer than 18 and OAL longer than 26!!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 09:05:30 pm by yorick »

Ian

• aka Elf-Boy
Re: Clyde Barrows second favorite gun...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 06:13:47 pm »

Alternatively, you could register the A5 as an SBS for $200 and cut it down all the way. If you're willing to get an NFA item, of course.

From what I've read, Bonnie Parker was a real badass with that chopped BAR.
And Tomlinson took up the tale and spoke of his good in life.
"O this I have read in a book," he said, "and that was told to me,
"And this I have thought that another man thought of a Prince in Muscovy."
The good souls flocked like homing doves and bade him clear the path,
And Peter twirled the jangling Keys in weariness and wrath.
"Ye have read, ye have heard, ye have thought," he said, "and the tale is yet to run:
"By the worth of the body that once ye had, give answer—what ha' ye done?"

badmuggafugga

Re: Clyde Barrows favorite gun...
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 05:25:11 pm »

That's quite a stack of magazines they had there.

I saw a list of an ammunition order they placed at a hardware store at some point along their career arc.  It was substantial to say the least.

I was inspired to compose a haiku:

Hope last thought is not
Wish I had a BAR
That would suck real hard
"Bad guys who wear badges and judges' robes and have all the other people who wear badges and judges' robes on their side, can take your toys and no one will help you get them back!"

Every year without knowing it I have passed the day
When the last fires will wave to me
And the silence will set out
Tireless traveler
Like the beam of a lightless star

Geoff

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 09:37:23 am »

I read somewhere that Clyde called the Browning A5 his "Whippet" gun. Cause he could hide it easily under his coat and.....Whippet out when he needed it.  ^_^
"You know who gave Hitler his power? The clerks and the bookkeepers, the civil servants."  Robert DeNiro as Bill Sullivan in "The Good Shepherd"

"Dissipation of power is the objective of those who love liberty." 
 Dr Ron Paul in an address to congress (1984)

"He has erected a multitude of new offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance."  From the Declaration of Independence.

yorick

• http://www.friendshuh.com
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 11:06:25 am »

whip it?  wasn't that a bad song in the 80's???

:rolleyes: ^_^

anyway - the A5 is *sold* ....  (but it's still an interesting topic - I wish I had had the nerve to cut it down and try it as a CQB gun myself - 6 rounds of semi-auto 12g birdshot has to do some damage!)

Dull'Hawk

• DullHawk.com
    • dullhawk.com
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 12:48:40 pm »

I should make my own tape measure to use in case I ever need to cut a gun down to more useful dimensions.

<--------------------->  = 3 inches

Wouldn't want to break wonderful laws which are imposed on us for our own "safety", now would we?

Kent
Kent For Liberty

Firefly militia: millions strong, one at a time.

Declaration of Liberation: I hereby withdraw any and all consent (if, indeed, consent was ever given) to be subject to the whims of the murderous, criminal collective known as "government".

Ian

• aka Elf-Boy
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 04:51:47 pm »

One element of the Whippet that hasn't been mentioned (and isn't in the photos) is the addition of a leather strap/sling that went from the top of the butt to the bottom of the butt. When slung over a shoulder, that allowed the gun to hang vertically under the armpit, giving the carrier full use of both arms. When the gun was needed, it could be just pivoted up 90 degrees to where the butt was in the proper place against the shoulder.
And Tomlinson took up the tale and spoke of his good in life.
"O this I have read in a book," he said, "and that was told to me,
"And this I have thought that another man thought of a Prince in Muscovy."
The good souls flocked like homing doves and bade him clear the path,
And Peter twirled the jangling Keys in weariness and wrath.
"Ye have read, ye have heard, ye have thought," he said, "and the tale is yet to run:
"By the worth of the body that once ye had, give answer—what ha' ye done?"

badmuggafugga

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 10:38:09 am »

One element of the Whippet that hasn't been mentioned (and isn't in the photos) is the addition of a leather strap/sling that went from the top of the butt to the bottom of the butt. When slung over a shoulder, that allowed the gun to hang vertically under the armpit, giving the carrier full use of both arms. When the gun was needed, it could be just pivoted up 90 degrees to where the butt was in the proper place against the shoulder.

Clever.     :ph34r:
"Bad guys who wear badges and judges' robes and have all the other people who wear badges and judges' robes on their side, can take your toys and no one will help you get them back!"

Every year without knowing it I have passed the day
When the last fires will wave to me
And the silence will set out
Tireless traveler
Like the beam of a lightless star

merlin419

• 57th Overlanders Brigade
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 12:31:10 pm »

If I remember right Bonnie always used the BAR as her favorite gun. That is besides Clyde's.  ^_^
"Shepard Booke use to tell me," If you can't do something smart then do something right" "Jayne Cobb.

RFC member.

"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the woods with too many guns."  Bob Lee Swagger

penguinsscareme

• Keeper of the red button
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 01:56:45 pm »

The BAR??  Wasn't Bonnie 4' 11" and a hundred pounds soaking wet after a big meal and wearing a parka?  A loaded BAR would be about a quarter of her gross weight.  Not saying you're wrong, but...yeah.  I am.  I think you're wrong.
O Lord,
Thine Ocean is so great,
And my boat is so small.

Sportos, motorheads, dweebies, wastoids...they think he's a righteous dude.

The utter waste of our $2,000,000,000 a day military-industrial machine was never demonstrated more vividly than on 9/11.

You do what works.

enemyofthestate

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 03:17:25 pm »

The BAR??  Wasn't Bonnie 4' 11" and a hundred pounds soaking wet after a big meal and wearing a parka?  A loaded BAR would be about a quarter of her gross weight.  Not saying you're wrong, but...yeah.  I am.  I think you're wrong.

An aquaintance of mine who is WW2 history buff once told he that Germans were so afraid of the BAR in battle that their snipers had standing orders to take out the guy with the one if at all possible.   The army decided that a smaller man was harder for a sniper to hit so the policy become to issue the BAR to the _smallest_ man in the squad.  My father agrees this was true as far as he knows.

That said, there is some controversy whether Bonnie actually used or even carried a gun on any of the robberies.  Her role in the gang and before was mainly logistical.  When she was killed she was not wanted for any capitol crime and even the police admitted she was not the cold-blooded killer Clyde Barrow was.  I personally don't doubt she could have handled a BAR -- she may have been small but she was a farm girl -- but you could be right that she never did.

BTW, at the ambush, Hamer and his deputies were armed with BAR's.
Mystical man values human life.  Rational man values the ability to value human life.
--Stephen Carville

Atheist   n.   A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others
-- Chaz Bufe, The American Heretics Dictionary

Not a TMM member

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 04:37:13 pm »

:laugh:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 11:40:08 pm by bucctoo »
Not sympathetic to the tinfoil hat crowd.

Voided37

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2006, 11:31:04 pm »

Check it out.

www.gunsmithinc.com/Sales.html

Bonnie's favorite is outdated. But sawed-offs never go out of style[for close-in last word...]

Not a TMM member

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 12:30:58 am »

The BAR is like old blue jeans. They are never outdated.
Old weapons just have a style nothing new will ever have.

A well done sawed off gauge does make a statement.
Not sympathetic to the tinfoil hat crowd.

Voided37

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 02:25:44 am »

Websters....Outdated=obsolete....
Want me to define obsolete too???????????????????? And yeah, they have a style...OLD!!!!!!
Wanna try to upstage me again?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up